Developing Leadership Tools for Effective Leadership
“Using coaching instead of sending executives and managers to seminars two or three times a year can be more beneficial to ongoing career development, not to mention less expensive…”
~ PC Week ~
Client Fahad Asks: There are so many programs out there claiming to develop leadership in people. It’s hard to know which are effective and which are money-stealers. Isn’t there one tool that can do it all? Can’t it be simple?
Coach Joel Answers: Great question, Fahad.
When you’re looking for a tool, you want something simple, effective, and right for the job. You want best value and precise results. We all know what happens when we try to use the wrong tool for the job. It can ruin things.
To answer your question, there is something that works for developing leadership in people. It works in all cases. Like the Swiss army knife, it holds all the implements needed to solve the problem at hand.
Let’s discuss how leadership coaching can be your tool of choice.
1. Simple. Rather than buying dozens of books or manuals, courses or online lessons, choose one qualified coach. It simplifies the decision making process.
You don’t have to spend hours figuring out the trade-offs between programs. With a coach that understands your business and your succession management, you have the best possible tool.
2. Effective. Rather than programs that give a blanket approach, your coach offers leadership development keyed directly to the individual. The give-and-take feedback allows for optimum growth. People can solve their concerns, increase their skill levels, and be prepared to rise to the top.
3. Best Value. Leadership coaches can address the issues faster and more directly than any program or training series. Instead of wasting money on generic training that only is partially effective, use 100% of your funds on meaningful achievement.
Coaches can focus on the specific areas that need improvement and bring fast results.
4. Precision Results. The shotgun effect of most training programs may leave some of your potential leaders still searching for answers to their problems. It may be they just have a few questions that could be simply addressed. But those questions are unique to them.
When you have a live coach and the give-and-take feedback, these concerns can be addressed quickly, bringing instant results. Rather than taking a course to accomplish the job, a coach may build the leadership of your people very quickly. When you’re considering candidates, ask questions about how much follow-up they provide for their clients.
5. Right for the Job. Because every individual is unique, the tool to help them needs to be individualized. To insure your leadership development is exactly fitted for your people, you need a leadership coach. They will adapt and fit the needs and goals of both your employees and the management.
They can offer specialized and unique training that exactly fits the needs of your rising stars. They understand the value of company culture and can work directly with management to formulate training that gives maximum results.
Fahad, you ask a good question. Rather than waste time and energy on expensive training courses, focus on individual coaching to give you effective, precise results. You’ll find that as you develop a relationship with that leadership coach he or she will be able to give you stronger leaders who are immediately effective.
If you’re seeking to develop great leaders and want a leadership coach who can give powerful, prompt results, contact Joel.
Talkback: How have you found leadership coaching effective for you or your company?
Image courtesy of Fotolia.comDon't miss a post - Subscribe to Career Advancement Blog now!