Recognized as one of the best: Acknowledged as one of the top 50 executive coaches in America. Global Gurus named Joel #14 on its list of top 30 global coaching experts.
Client list: Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Procter & Gamble, Bank of America, Microsoft, Oracle, Deloitte, The Ritz-Carlton, and many more.
Years of experience: 20 years of executive coaching experience.
Author: Written 7 books and over 300+ articles on leadership.
Featured in National Media: ABC News, NPR, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Newsweek, BusinessWeek, Forbes and USA Today.
Executive Coaching Style
Joel is well-known as one of the most effective and innovative executive coaches in the country. His passion and energy is infectious, motivating and encouraging. He has a no-nonsense style in which he advises, challenges, provokes, guides and pushes his clients. Joel possesses great insight and knowledge, which he is able to convey clearly and with enthusiasm.
Joel is able to get to the heart of what is going on very quickly. He then develops specific, measurable strategies that get you thinking about your challenges in an entirely different and more empowering way. Every session provides new, clear perspectives on how to approach the clients’ work challenges with a clear plan of attack.
Joel’s coaching has delivered realistic and immediate results that have impacted my company’s bottom line. He has a unique ability to quickly cut through personal clutter and focus on root challenges that lead to professional growth. My increased ability to direct and lead people has amplified the respect, influence, and working relationships I have with others.
Andrew Peters, Manager, Enterprise Marketing,
As an executive coach, Joel has helped:
- A CIO expanded his sphere of influence by learning to build better collaboration across business unit’s at all organizational levels.
- A SVP improved communication with her team, senior leaders, and employees by learning a completely different style of communication that eliminated argumentative and aggressive behaviors.
- A department head developed executive presence, learning to be more self-assured, decisive, powerful, and polished in how he presented himself.
- A general manager transitioned from being a low-profile manager of twenty people to becoming the highly respected leader of 150 employees and seven direct reports while markedly improving relationships with peers, subordinates, and key decision-makers.
- A newly promoted senior director smoothly and effectively handled increased job complexity, responsibility and expectations, alongside transforming difficult team dynamics.
- A VP acquired leadership skills that inspired ownership and empowerment in her team, amplifying respect, influence, and working relationships with other business units.
- A VP became more of a confident leader, propelling her into a more influential role within her company.
Executive Coaching Clients
From its roots in San Francisco, Garfinkle executive coaching now serves companies throughout the United States and in countries around the world. Here is a partial list of clients who have benefited from Joel’s coaching knowledge:
- NBC Universal
- Charles Schwab
- Cisco Systems
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Gap Inc.
- Shell Chemicals
- Coldwell Banker
- Sapient Corporation
- Electronic Arts
- Capital City Bank
- Procter & Gamble
- Union Bank of California
- Visa International
- Portland Parks Foundation
- Levi Strauss & Company
- Williams-Sonoma Inc.
- New York Times
- Morgan Stanley
- BEA Systems, Inc.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- The Peninsula Hotels
- The Omni Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotels
- The Marriott Hotels
- Brother International Corporation
- Eli Lilly
Many employees, managers and executives, attempting to navigate the rough waters of career advancement, discover a personal leadership coach can serve an important and constructive role. There are many circumstances in which coaching can be of benefit.
Joel has written seven books that are read in 25 countries.
He was also featured in The Art and Practice of Leadership Coaching (John Wiley and Sons), and contributed to Leader to Leader – the award-winning quarterly journal launched by the Peter F. Drucker Foundation and contributed to PHR/SPHR Professional in Human Resources Certification Exam Guide.
Here are his seven books:
- Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level
- Executive Presence: Convey Confidence as a Business Leader
- How to be a Great Boss: Learn the Seven Traits of Great Bosses
- Difficult Conversations: Practical Tactics for Crucial Communication
- Time Management Mastery: Stress-Free Productivity in the 7 Key Areas of Life (time, projects, people, schedules, information, work/life balance, and abundance)
- Love Your Work: Make the Job You Have the One You’ve Always Wanted
- Get Paid What You’re Worth: How to Negotiate a Raise or Higher Starting Salary
Over 300+ articles: He provides free leadership development articles that provide practical, “how-to” information and insights to help you become a leader, boost your career success, or develop effective leaders within your organization.
Fulfillment@Work Newsletter: He publishes a popular weekly newsletter which is delivered to more than 10,000 subscribers around the world.
Career Advancement Blog: His Career Advancement Blog: provides articles, insights and tips to help toward career success.
Mr. Garfinkle is a sought-after keynote speaker and corporate trainer who is regularly called upon to address conferences across the country and around the world. He has delivered more than 1000 workshops, speeches and keynote addresses to groups such as the Commonwealth Club of California, the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce, the Kentucky Society of Human Resource Management, Wells Fargo Bank, Haas School of Business, Financial Women’s Association, the University of California Berkeley, Marriott Hotels, Gap Inc., Cisco Systems, Charles Schwab, Bank of America, Accenture, Sapient Corporation, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Kohl’s and The Ritz-Carlton Hotels.
International Change Management Consultant
Joel Garfinkle’s prior experience includes working as a consultant for two of the top consulting firms in the world: Ernst & Young in Hong Kong and Accenture in San Francisco. His executive coaching background, and experience with performance improvement and change management equips him to help senior executives, vice-presidents, senior managers and directors achieve results quickly and effectively.
Through work with a wide variety of industries, Joel has developed a broad understanding of business, organizational behavior and personal dynamics. He has helped clients discover that leadership coaches can be critical to ensuring a productive outcome for both the employee and the company.
Publications and Media
Joel has been featured in the following hundreds of nationally recognized leading news and media features.
- ABC News
- National Public Radio
- Wall Street Journal
- New York Times
- USA Today
- CNN Money
- Microsoft CIO Network
- Financial Times
- Fast Company
- Fox Business
- PC world
- Chief Learning Officer
- American Express Open Forum
- Talent Management
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- CFO Magazine
- Human Resource Executive
- Parade Magazin
- Leader to Leader
Joel holds a degree in psychology from San Diego State University and has completed a three-year coaching certificate program with Coach University.
To learn more about his personal and executive
coaching services, contact Joel today!